[Vs2012] EF Designer opens EDMX only as XML

Topics: EF Designer
Nov 4, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I have a question about the EF Designer in VS2012. I have a project created in VS2010 and when I open it in VS2012, the EDMX file is only opened as XML files.

Why is this so?

Developer
Nov 5, 2012 at 6:07 PM
Edited Nov 5, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Is the Entity Framework Designer for Visual Studio 2012 installed and present inside the Programs and Features list on your machine? If not then you may need to modify your Visual Studio 2012 install and select Microsoft Web Developer Tools from the optional features list.

Nov 5, 2012 at 8:04 PM
BriceLambson wrote:

modify your Visual Studio 2012 install and select Microsoft Web Developer Tools from the optional features list.

ah, ok. I think I have not installed them. I' ll test it and tell you the result.

Developer
Nov 5, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I believe we also install if Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools is selected, but the Web Tools are probably more appropriate for most developers.

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:45 AM

ok, I've tested it and selecting the Web Dev Tools installs the EF Designer.

Is this documented somewhere? This is very confusing, because I use Firebird and develop Desktop application I don't need the Web or the SQL Data Tools. So I never expected that EF is only installed when installing those components...

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:03 PM
BriceLambson wrote:

I believe we also install if Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools is selected,

confirmed, too:

Now I have all I need. I haven't selected it because I use Firebird and not the MS SQL Server.